Audsley describes this stop in his entry for Dulcimer, which reads:
The name given by Thomas Schwarbrook to a stop, composed of metal strings, inserted in the Organ erected by him, in 1733, in the Church of St. Michael, Coventry. It was, in all probability, sounded by a hammer action, as the real Dulcimer was played. Respecting this notable Organ, Dr. Rimbault remarks: “This noble instrument (Schwarbrook's masterpiece) cost £1400. It originally contained three remarkable stops - the Harp, Lute, and Dulcimer; but, in consequence of the ‘difficulty of keeping the strings in tune,’ they were removed in 1763.”
Wedgwood and Sumner also mention these stops, but have nothing to add.
Copyright © 2000 Edward L. Stauff, all rights reserved.|
Dulcimer.html - Last updated 4 September 2000.